Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Personalized Genomics

The future holds so much information about DNA that some people may want to know and some may have no interest in knowing. In the future we may be able to tell if we have a disease and how to prevent it based on the genetic information. By getting a DNA sequencing scan you may be able to prevent a disease from happening before it is to late.Genes reveal your risk of diseases one letter after another. Just by having one letter out of place or one misspelling in your DNA, can cause you to have a disease. There is a lot of hope for gene based drugs in the future. Cancer genomes tell us how to prevent a cancer from happening. I as a person would love to know what my genes say and what my health is. Many people find it wrong but wouldn't you want to know what your future holds? I would love to know what is going to happen in my future that way I can plan ahead and know what to be prepared for. If my genes show a disease, I can plan on how to save money and what to do when it comes to the doctors. Also I can figure out how much time I have or what needs to be done to cure the disease. I would definitely submit samples to have genetic screening done on my body. I'm the kind of person that prepares for the future, I am always planning ahead.

   After watching a couple videos over people that have dealt with a disease due to a mutation has made me think. I learned about a little boy that was having trouble with multiple things. This boy got a genetic screening to help and try to see what went wrong and if there is a cure. Unfortunately a cure could not be found at the time being due to the fact that the one of the mutations has only been seen one other time and the other mutation has NEVER been seen before. There was also a man who was diagnosed with the screen cancer called melanoma. This cancer has no symptoms and you usually feel perfectly fine. He was told patients with this usually only have a year or less to live and by time he found out he had it, he only had a month or two to live. He took action and tried to cure it. After awhile he returned to work feeling better. Even though it started to regrow in places, it disappeared fully in a lot of other places. After watching these videos I think genetic screening would be a big help to our future. Imagine being told before it's to late that you carry or have a disease but you don't need to worry because there is a cure for it. Being warned before your world changes can make you a lot happier. These videos were pretty interesting, I recommend everyone to watch them to create their own opinion on genetic screening.




No comments:

Post a Comment